Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Roosters and Rams

Awhile back, I said that the rooster's orneriness behavior was to teach me something. Well, I now know what it was. He taught me to always know where he was in preparation for always knowing where the ram is. Unfortunately, I have been a little slow in learning the lesson.

Both the rooster and the ram are generally nice animals and in Thor's case, he can be a real sweetie; more affectionate than some of the ewes. So why does he butt me, seemingly, out of the blue? I think you have to attribute it to male hormones. Roosters and Rams have one thing on their mind and if anything remotely resembles competition they feel it is their right to attack.

Farming has taught me to look at things in a different way (more literally or basically). I believe it is their right to fight off competition, but what I want to know, IS, how can I appear less like competition.

Perhaps attitudes will change once we get breeding season behind us. It is interesting how males (at least intact ones) always tend to complicate things. A farm with all females or males that have been castrated, is such a peaceful place. Add any male animal and watch out. I am hoping it is all about a learning curve for the farmer.

It is a valuable lesson to learn-- to watch your back. The world is not a totally peaceful place. We have all tried to teach our children to be aware of their surrounds and know about the people they hang around with. I am getting to understand the animals who live here better everyday. At this point I think it is O.K. that they all live here but I know sometimes that isn't the case and there has to be some changes made.

1 comment: