Saturday, April 17, 2010

SHEEP ON THE LOOSE

When our girls were young, SHEEP IN A JEEP was one of their favorite books. We would read it over and over and every time I would cringe at all the trouble those sheep got into.

Today, I was having lunch down at the cabin and hanging out with the sheep while they grazed the cabin lawn. I was thinking the sheep are getting calmer and not running around and around the cabin as much so I stopped getting up every few minutes to check on them. Then I suddenly realized no sheep or llama was in sight. I did a quick run around the cabin calling them but no sight or sound. I ran up to the barn to get a bowl of grain and went to see if I could find a trail.

Yes, there is a small break in the fence but it is way back away from the succulent grass and not easy to see. I wonder who found it. As I headed into the woods that goes down to the spring and down toward the road, that classic childhood book came flooding into my mind.

It really didn't even help knowing Beau was with them. I couldn't believe how quickly they were completely out of sight. I picked up their trail and called them but no answer. More sheep stories racing through my mind, I took the direction of the house instead of the deeper woods and the road and spied Beau in the front yard. I am so glad sheep, unlike cattle, stick close together and there they all were.

The sheep all gladly followed me back to the barnyard to the sound of grain in a bowl but Beau held back a ways contemplating his options. Beau will come back for grain but it is always in his time so he looks smarter than the sheep.

Enough excitement for today--I think I will work with some of the new shorn fleece for awhile.

2 comments:

  1. I'll bet you were a little scared. Of course they'd come back. They know where they get fed. I'd worry too though.
    Do you think that book influenced you in making the decision to get sheep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again I am reminded of the nursery rhyme. I finally rembered all of it. Were they wagging their tails behind them? I had a couple of dogs like that.

    ReplyDelete