Thursday, March 25, 2010

CHANGE

The spring rains have started. This evening's rain is so gentle I didn't even know it was raining until I went out to the barn but a few days ago we woke up to thunder and heavy wind driven rain. There are streams everywhere and as the small ones empty into Buffalo Creek (near us) and Buffalo Creek flows into the Maury River and the Maury into the James. The rivers muddy up quickly but clear again almost as quickly. In the Spring I volunteer with Boxerwood Gardens environmental education program and my favorite part of the program is putting on knee boots with 4th and 5th grade kids and taking a big net into the cold waters to check the health of the local rivers. The kids take their jobs very seriously and are proud when the rivers get a good rating and they know how important it is to keep the cows out of the streams.

I signed up for my first river assignment today. This means my schedule will change a bit. ALSO, (drum roll) Valley Slot Car officially opened it's door for business today and this too will mean a change in my schedule. John will be working many nights (at least for awhile) which means I will be eating alone most nights and it will be very quiet for sure.

I have always acknowledged and enjoyed changes that new seasons and new interests bring. I don't mind schedule changes and I wonder, with each new beginning, what gifts will come. How will it change my life for the better.

This is easy for me to say because I come from a history of new beginnings- new gifts. The hardest thing for me in my professional life working with kids, is that very few kids I work with have had this experience and so they often fear change. They are young-they are poor- and very few will allow themselves to believe opportunities will open for them and gifts will come in something new and different.

Spring is my best chance to try to show them that change can bring GOOD as everything comes to life and new hope is in the air. All I have to do is get them to open their eyes and ears and take a deep breath.

Meanwhile, in the pasture, the sheep and Beau don't need as much hay and are happy and content with the arrival of the Spring rains and the new GREEN that is the gift of this season.

5 comments:

  1. Yesterday I was in San Diego and I went for a nice walk on the beach by myself and I was thinking a lot about change. Carley went to Italy with school on spring break so she was not with us. I was thinking about, on my walk, what a difference it will be when she goes off to college in slightly over a year from now. The thought of that change scares me. I now know (or maybe I have known all along)one of the someones I can run to when that time comes to help me get through the change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and congrats to John. How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to John. Is he excited? Looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, congratulations to John, and to you for what you do with those kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, somehow I missed this entry. I too see people in my work that are afraid of change. It is one of those healthy coping skills our parents passed on to us. Thanks Mom and Dad. Way to go John.

    ReplyDelete