Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Record Keeping

With so much going on, I should be blogging every day so things don't get left out- after all this blog is to chronicle all that goes on at Cabin Spring Farm.

I should go back a week to January 6th which was the day that we celebrated January 7th aka ROC Day or Distaff Day.  In olden days the women spun all of their clothes so they spun every day except for the 12 days of Christmas.  I guess they took those days to cook special foods and honor the holiday.  Then on January 7th, back to the spinning.  Every year spinning guilds around the globe commemorate the day by getting together to spin.

My friend Naomi and I organized the event for our town.  We had 12 spinners including 3 of my students.  We had a wonderful time all being together and a great turnout of people wanting to see some spinning in action.  Here is a photo taken by Jonathan Schwab who is one of the reporters at one of our local weekly newspapers.  This is T spinning on my great wheel.

Roc Day spinning1.jpg
I, once again, forgot my camera but others took pictures so I may be able to post more on the website.

John picked up the parts I needed for my new wheel so it is completely made up of my parts instead of some borrowed from my neighbors wheel.

Two "No School Fiber Days" coming up with one full already and the other with 2 spaces available.

And January's Ruckus Day scheduled in-between the two.  I will TRY to remember to take pictures.

A woman called tonight to see if the cabin was available for the next 4 nights.  I told her it could be but the heat and water were off and the painting of the ceiling in the bathroom not quite done.

She said she thought it looked "sweet" and she would call the next time they were in town.  The word is getting out.  I guess it won't do any good to beat myself up for not getting the ceiling done.  I am certainly motivated now.

I wish I had stayed home on Saturday when it was weirdly warm, but I went to the annual shepherd's symposium at VT .  Every year I think there will be more wool people there to connect with, but this wasn't the year either.  Just a bunch of "good ole boys" as Naomi calls them, just interested in doing business as usual and taking their sheep to market.  Nothing wrong with that I just keep waiting for them to noticed that their sheep have this wonderful stuff all over them called wool, except that most of them have hair sheep now because they can't be bothered with wool.

A couple of years ago I met a guy who wanted to start a flock of Black Cotswold sheep in Virginia and I think I even had his name but I lost track of the guy.  I am looking for a boyfriend for Charlotte in particular.

This blog is getting too long so I will take a break from my recording duties and resume tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment