Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Molasses, Turpentine, and Linseed Oil

Juliette de Bairacli Levy, in her book The Complete Herbal Handbook For Farm And Stable, says molasses is the best tonic food for sheep and linseed oil the best general medicine. Sometimes you have to mix in a little turpentine. And then there are the herbs.

I am really enjoying reading and rereading parts of her book and it is amazing that after a few reads, my reaction to turpentine is Oh sure, that makes sense instead of WHAT!!!

Tomorrow, I am going to see my local herbalist to make a few tinctures, pick up an herb order of herbs to deter moths, and ask her to read a paragraph in the book. She also is part of the local chapter of the native plant society. She and others are coming out to the farm Saturday to make some suggestions on plantings in a few areas. One thing I want to do is plant a hedgerow in the pasture.

It was such a beautiful day today, that I started clearing the area that I want to add to the area behind the garage/barn. After reading the herbal book, I look forward to making this area available to the sheep and Beau with its blackberries, wineberries, wild roses, wild garlic, and more. I cut some of the wild rose back and threw a piece over the fence. Gretta and Zorra found it and started munching. It kept getting stuck on one or the other of them and then got transferred to Mary in the middle and then back to Zora and she got upset with it and took off. The sheep eat the small branches but Beau seems to just like the new leaves. I would love to let them back there now but I think that would be a major mistake as wooly as they are now.

As with everything with the animals, I think I am going to have to take it slowly and see what works.


1 comment:

  1. I'm still saying, "TURPENTINE, What?!" I'm curious to hear about its uses.

    ReplyDelete