Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff


Yesterday, when I was walking through the veggie garden I eyed a grasshopper munching on some corn silk. I was trying to come up with a way to discourage the grasshoppers. This morning as I walked through the veggie garden I had a much bigger problem to come up with a solution for. The deer have found the corn--- and the cucumber leaves and even tomatoes. I didn't think deer ate the nightshade family.

Now, instead of worrying about the corn silk I found I had fewer ears to worry about as whole stocks were leaning and side shoots were broken. Several tomatoes had disappeared. The deer had never bothered this garden before but the corn was outside the fenced garden last year and they did eat it. I guess they cannot resist corn. The gate was open but I doubt that was how they got in; they probably just jumped the fence. SO today, I put a fence around the fence. I read somewhere one time that you could do that and that made it harder if placed right.

I also put a stepladder in an open area, a teepee in another and poles coming down from the fence for good measure. We will see tomorrow if anything I did today helps. I may need another Beau to guard the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment