Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Snake in the Barn


This fellow was not in the wrong place at the wrong time. And I had my camera with me- how unusual is that? I love black snakes; they are so beautiful and I grew up climbing trees with them. It was interesting watching this one work its way up to the hay loft in the barn.



I was thinking this snake was looking for where the chickens were laying their eggs since he invaded their coop last week.


I waited for him to be well up there before I climbed the ladder.

When I did go up I saw him/her disappear down into this well and thought perhaps the chickens had laid an egg here. I am not brave enough to be up in the loft with him/her (the startle effect) so I went back to the house and when I came back later I saw no snake or eggs. The chickens are laying in the coop again and I am trying to be more consistent about checking for eggs so the snake gets no reward for going in the coop.

Even though the snake was not in the wrong place at the wrong time I am not sure it was in the right place but I figure if the sheep and Beau don't mind sharing their home with a snake who am I to cast an opinion?




3 comments:

  1. I'm amazed that you just happened to have your camera with you. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a nonprofit educational organization seeking permission to publish one of your snake photos in our upcoming book, Field Notes, Vol. 2. How can we get in touch with you?
    Thanks,
    N.Gagnon
    www.mynatureplace.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, you can use the snake photo. Could you send me a copy of the book?
      Let me know what you need.
      Susan

      Delete