Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January 1st 2014, no resolutions

I am not a person who makes New Years resolutions, at least not in the last few years.  I do ponder over the events of the past year and contemplate what the next year might hold, but, no resolutions.

I like to try new things as a new year comes about and I have already started by trying Nuttello for breakfast this morning- it was pretty good.  I have plans of course, and goals, but no resolutions.

I was telling some friends, I think the new year started for me in October.  Sometimes shifts in thinking don't follow the calendar.  Shifts in philosophy, but no resolutions.

Back in September, my sister Gail, gave me a book called One Word that will change your life   by Dan Britton, Jimmy Page, and Jon Gordon.  The book tells you to ask for one word that you live with for a year starting Jan. 1st.  Since I was reading it in September, I thought I would ask for a word for the rest of 2013.  The word that came to me was "clarification".  The word that came to me for 2014 is "hopeful".  I was emailing some friends today and wanting to wish them a Happy New Year, but what came out was "wishing you a Hopeful New Year".   That's even better, I think.

So, I am hopeful that I will continue to fit into my favorite jeans, that just started fitting me again.  I am hopeful that this year will bring continued new opportunities.  I am hopeful that I will be kind to more people more of the time.  I am hopeful that I will find new ways to handle animals that are less stressful to all of us.  I am hopeful that I will remember to tell the stories that are so important, and I am hopeful that all will listen and tell their own stories. And after reading this,  http://www.wbur.org/npr/258674011/editing-your-lifes-stories-can-create-happier-endings

I am hopeful that many will edit their life stories.  But,  no resolutions.


1 comment:

  1. First of all - Happy belated birthday. I hope you had a great time away during the holidays and enjoyed your special day. I just finished reading someone else's blog who mentioned she feels hopeful (among other things) every new year. I guess most of us do. As I age though, I find I'm a little more anxious too. Love to you and John.

    ReplyDelete