Saturday, April 9, 2016

Eggs Smashed in the Night

I went down to the barnyard in a snow squall this morning.  All 3 geese were out and about and I wondered why no-one was keeping the geese eggs warm.  When I looked in the closet, I found the eggs were smashed into pieces .  The whole nest was destroyed.  I guess some predator/s came in the night.  It was very windy last night and I didn't hear anything.  I think we lost a chicken too. It is always sad to lose animals but at least I was spared finding dead or missing goslings which could have been the case if it was next week.

I am glad the geese are alright.  Sal seems to be taking the loss O.K.   I guess, in the even more fragile animal kingdom, there isn't an expectation that everything will go smoothly.

Some people say they could never live on a farm with all the loss of life.  I feel death is a part of life and maybe farmers just have a closer look at death.  I bet if you surveyed 100 farmers and 100 others you would find that farmers don't fear death as much as most people.

I am ready for the wind to subside and the sun to come back out, no more snow squalls for today.

 Family due to arrive soon so that will make things cheerier.

No comments:

Post a Comment