Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A New Winter

Winter has arrived early to Cabin Spring Farm.  I don't think it got above 30 degrees today and it is supposed to get down in the teens again tonight.

Sal was walking on thin ice on the puddle pond this morning and broke through.  She scrambled out in a hurry.  They now have their blue heated bucket for drinking water.  The sheep are loving the new hay and the geese like it too.  The geese like to line up at the hay feeder next to the sheep but the sheep go back and forth between the feeders and the geese have to keep an eye out so as not to get trampled.  A new thing to worry about.

I got back from Oklahoma last night.  There was a dusting of snow there.  I thought I was going to have a couple of nice days while the cold moved into Virginia, but it was unseasonably cold in OK,  and windy.  It was my annual sister's trip and Judy found us a nice cabin in Medicine Park OK, 3 miles from the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.  This refuge was the beginning of bringing Bison back from almost extinction.

We sang "Home On The Range"multiple times, told Bison jokes, or at least one, and got to see one Longhorn cow, a bunch of Prairie Dogs, and a small herd of Bison.  The bison are really cool animals.  The preserve has a bison auction  every year and I would be tempted to invite one to live at Cabin Spring Farm BUT we don't exactly have a range.  I wonder what the sheep would think of a resident bison?

O.K. the joke--   There were these two cowboys riding the range and they came across some buffalo.  One said to the other, "Now that is one really ugly animal, I mean UGLY".  The other agreed profusely and they rode off.  One buffalo looked at the other and exclaimed, "now those are discouraging words".  Not sure if it is funny or not, I keep changing my mind.

Back to the farm, farm chores, and farm clothes covered with hay.  Pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment