Thursday, June 26, 2014

Worse Than a Nuisance

We lost another hen last night.  This time to a night predator.

  I was doing my evening chores early yesterday, and somehow forgot to close the coop.  This morning I went to open the coop and found the door open and some feathers inside but no black hen.  When I found her body, elsewhere, it was pretty much eaten.  Somehow, it is a little easier if the hen disappears altogether or is found in one piece.

Tonight, one of the Americanas was thinking about sleeping on top of the closet in the barn.  That is where they lay eggs and where some eggs have been eaten of late.  I had to coax her to join the others on the high beams in the barn.  I set my spy camera up tonight so I hope to catch the nuisance, on film at least.  I wonder if whatever it is, looks at the geese in the pen and tries to find a way to get them.  Are the geese frightened, I ponder, or do they not know the danger?  Is it good practice for them to know that predators are lurking in the night or do they think the intruder is just another barnyard animal?

Farm life is not for the faint of heart.  I hope things settle down,  at least for awhile.  I don't know what we are going to do but I guess the first step is to see what we are dealing with.

I moved the sheep to a new pasture tonight.  I need to keep mentioning the moves to document the length of stay on each pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment