Friday, January 7, 2011

Too Fat, Too Thin, or Just Right

Back and forth, back and forth, one day I think the sheep are overweight and the next I am afraid I am not feeding them enough.

There is so much conflicting information out there. Some sheep farmers say you should have your hay tested for protein content at a testing facility others say it is not necessary. Some give a specific amount of grain at different times and other say you really don't need to feed grain. Part of the problem is that the vast majority of sheep farmers are trying to get as many lambs as possible and most are raising sheep for meat.

I thought it would get easier with research but I get more confused with each new conflicting article or website. So the other day, when I was talking to Naomi (farmer of 300+ sheep) about going to a spinning event, I asked her how to know how much to feed the sheep.

Naomi just asked how their fleece looked and if they looked and seemed healthy. I said their fleece was beautiful and they looked great. She said that I was feeding them just right. She did say I could give them a little alfalfa pellets for the last 6 weeks of their pregnancy for Vitamin A and Calcium.

Why is it that we always question our innate wisdom? And why is it that most people, when asked a question, want to let us know how much they know instead of reminding us what we know?

Thanks Naomi!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Naomi is a good friend to have.

    I have absolutely no idea what the protein content is of my hay. Heck, I don't even know what kind of grasses are in the hay or where it originally came from.

    ReplyDelete