Friday, January 14, 2011

Long Farming Hours

It has been a long day. I started out having a neighbor over for tea and now, at 7:30 P.M. I am sitting down to relax. The time in between has been very busy.

My neighbor who came for tea is taking care of the animals for a few days while we go visit John's parents. It seems like every time we go away for a few days the feeding regimen has changed since the last time we went away so neighbors come over to review the new arrangements.

This time, since Charlie brought over a round bale and put it in Thor's old domain, the instructions about opening one gate and tying another - and when to do it- had to be gone over.

I was telling my neighbor that this was a good time for me to go away since we have changed the hay the girls and Beau will be eating. I was afraid they would turn up their noses to the new stuff and look at me with sad eyes begging for their greener fresher hay. (and I was afraid I would give in) Well, I saw them eating the new hay so I guess everything will be alright.

Most of the day was spent making sure everything was set, as far as the animals go, including getting more water down to the garage/barn. The water was very low in the barrel so I have been trying, every afternoon at the warmest time, to get the pump/hydrant open. Today got up to 37 degrees but still no luck. When Charlie was here, we tried to heat the pipe with a torch but that didn't even work. My next plan was to put the barrel on the little trailer and fill it up at the house hose but Charlie said he had a long hose he could add to all of mine that he thought would make the distance. He went over and got it and I had the rest connected so added his and had a little to spare. Unfortunately, his was frozen in spots so it took a while, bending it back and forth to get the ice freed. Hours were spent getting to this point and it probably took 10 minutes to fill the barrel. Then we had to disconnect all the hoses and run the ends down a slope to make sure they would be free of ice for the next time.

When people come to visit, I clean my house. When I go away, I clean the barns, barnyard, and chicken coop. That took some time and distance with my new wheel barrow hauling 2 loads of old hay and straw to the garden compost and one to the manure pile in the other direction.

At least it was a beautiful day and I got some good exercise. I even got sunburned. I always forget this time of year -- you usually can't stay out long enough to get sunburned.

Good thing I got some exercise today because the next 2 days I will be sitting alot. Tomorrow is the annual sheep symposium where I will get to here the latest on controlling parasites. Oh well, I always make some good contacts, learn something new, and have a good lunch with some good people. Sunday we drive 7 hours to see John's parents. It will be great to see them since we didn't get to at Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. This post could have been written by me, only with donkeys and goats instead of sheep and llamas.

    We're home and everyone was well taken care of. So nice to have farm sitters you trust.

    Have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete