Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Gratitude for Seeds


John often asks me at the end of a day, "How was your day" and yesterday I replied that my day was good and added that the highlight of my day was separating seeds.

As soon as I said that, I thought it sounded funny or would to someone listening.  To me though, it was a special time.  I had been reading about some Native American tribes that know that it is their responsibility to take care of the plants' babies (seed) so that the seed can take care of their babies.  They even sing to the seed.

I had forgotten what zinnia seeds look like when I took the flower heads out of my cloth bag and they began to fall apart and then I remembered.  As I began to sort, I was taking pinches and dropping on this box and soon realized that I could hear when a seed dropped and then pick it out.

The whole experience was meditative (except trying to pick some of the seed up).

I would love to hear Native Americans  sing to their seed!  I shall try to remember to sing to the seed I collect and plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment