Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Reciprocity-- January

As I have thought of Reciprocity this month, I have engaged in a deeper way of seeing things.  What are the gifts that each living thing processes?  Do we give of what we have?  Maybe, if we don't know what we have.  If we do according to what we know we have, is it reciprocity or a gift?  I think reciprocity, is by nature, unconscious.  This may be harder than I thought.

January has come and almost gone.  For the most part it has been a mild month (except for January 11th and thereabouts).  The trough, buckets, tub and puddle pond have had little ice, unlike December and early January.  I bought a new heater for the trough to be ready for the next cold spell, maybe that brought the milder weather.

The chickens were not particularly anxious to come out this morning.  It is nice that it isn't just me that has a hard time getting going some winter mornings.  It is not so much the cold for me, as it is the dark.  Why is it lighter and lighter every evening around 5:00 but still dark in the morning?

Tuesday is Ground Hogs Day.  I have been seeing more hills and mounds erupting and I've been seeing, and especially smelling skunk so there is a stirring of Spring.

 The sheep look BEAUTIFUL; few briers and not too much hay in the fleece.  I wish it was time to shear them now.  Part of it is, they eat hay off each other.  Is that an example of reciprocity, a simple act of kindness, or just satisfying hunger?

1 comment:

  1. Does it really matter if it is a gift or reciprocity? Maybe it is all reciprocity. My favorite quote is from Winston Churchill. "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give."

    ReplyDelete