Saturday, March 5, 2016

Artistic Vision And Layers

Where was I reading the other day about artists visioning through/across spectrums?  Not sure how it was phrased but what they were talking about was how artists draw inspiration from a totally different art form than they are predominantly working in, but being artists, they know how to incorporate what they are experiencing outside of their art form into their next project.

I have been flip flopping all over the place recently being INSPIRED by all I see and hear.  This winter I sewed a wool jacket, knit a baby sweater, brought out my watercolors and my watercolor pencils, designed a new garden, dug a hole, designed birdhouses in my head, and have been doing much research to support all of the above.  I have been watching birds and fish (and sheep of course) and observing colors.

Today, I went to a GROW symposium that focused on Native Plants.  More inspiration!!  Now all I need is a little warmer weather and 2 or 3 interns.  I guess I could use a little direction as well.

Tomorrow, maybe I will confer with the sheep and see if they can offer any wisdom.  They usually do a great job of settling my flurrying mind.

One of the take-aways for me from the symposium was

+/-

which means, at least as I understood it, "you can get what you want to achieve by taking away what you don't want" Something like that.  A dynamic way of looking at creating a new garden area.  

And one of the speakers challenged us to look at every setting we come across and count the layers.  That can translate into painting and fiber work as well.  For some reason, I always feel better dressed in layers.  To me it is about relationships between the different textures, colors, and lines.

It is a lot to take in and process------ I am glad I have 9 sheep to confer with.

No comments:

Post a Comment