Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Home Alone

They say, "A picture is worth a thousand words".  I have some great pictures on my camera but I misplaced the whatchamacallit that goes between the camera card and my computer, and my computer does not have a direct place for a camera card, so I will write about something that does not need a picture since I was not here to take one.

I went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival last weekend and John went to see his mom at his brother's house.  We discussed whether we should have someone check on the animals while we were gone.  Since we were only going to be away for just over 24 hours we decided we would let them stay home alone.  The chickens are still roosting in the barn, the sheep and Cher are grazing the pastures and the water trough provides whatever water they need.  So we told them to be good; not to get into any trouble, and took off in opposite directions.

I had a great time at the festival.  I saw MANY sheep but none so beautiful as mine.  I checked out the fleeces that were for sale.  I like to keep up with what different fleeces go for.  The range this year was from $8.00 to $35.00 per pound with most going for $10-$12/lb.  The fleece for $35.00 / lb was a brown Finn.  There was just one or one left.  I have probably 20 lbs of brown Finn.

One of the best things about wool festivals is the contacts you make and the leads you get.  Now I am looking for an out of print book.

Camping Saturday night was pretty cool but wonderful regardless.  I had a hot shower the next morning but the pressure was not what I hoped for, so I began the morning with 4 layers of clothing.  By the time I got to the fairgrounds, I was able to shed one, but it was still the coolest weather I have seen at this event in the 4 years I have been going.

Sunday, we returned to 6 sheep, one llama, and 4 chickens.  None of them offered any information about the weekend but we didn't receive any calls from neighbors about loud noises or parties so I guess we can trust them to stay home alone, at least for one over night.

1 comment:

  1. How nice that you can leave them like that. I'm glad they were all where they belonged when you returned.

    ReplyDelete