Friday, February 11, 2011

Gaining Trust


Today, Sarah decided to trust me. Actually, I am not sure if she has trusted me for a little while but today will mark the beginning of a trusting relationship.

Sarah is one of the Finn sheep and though Finn sheep are characterized as being easy going friendly sheep, I have not known that to be true here. Sarah, and especially Annie, have always been skittish since coming here. I have felt, for a long while, that they might be happier living somewhere else but lately they have seemed a little different.

Sarah has been very curious of late. I always give Sarah and Annie more space when I walk around them and tell them when I am coming their way. Sarah and Annie are more interested in a larger diversity of food offerings. Sarah loves pickles (even before she became pregnant). In the winter when there are slim pickings in the main pasture, the sheep love to be offered anything fresh but only Sarah and occasionally Annie, actually eat the offerings. I think it is the special food that has opened Sarah up to giving me a chance. She has been seeking me out and coming close to see what I might have to offer.

I, on the other hand, have been playing the "what ever" game. Come on over if you want. Today, for whatever reason, we both looked at each other and I reached out and scratched her under her chin and ran my fingers along her nose and she didn't pull back. She seemed to enjoy the attention.

What is it that makes us decide to give someone a chance? What gets us to step outside our comfort zone and let someone get to know us? I don't know what it is but, in this case, I am glad Sarah took that step because she is the first ewe due and I think that will makes things easier if things get difficult. Annie is one of the last due so hopefully we will have time to get to know each other a little better.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad Sarah is coming around. In another year you may laugh about how standoffish she was. I'll bet Annie becomes more friendly once she gets closer to her lambing date too.

    Sprint is much like Sarah. She's always been skittish but has decided I might be ok afterall.

    ReplyDelete