Sunday, July 25, 2010

Taking Things For Granted

Over Sunday pancakes this morning, John and I were marveling about how bizarre it was to get our egg for the pancakes from the coop instead of an egg carton (even our neighbors' eggs come to us in a carton). John was so mesmerized that he forgot to put the blueberries in the pancakes. They really tasted different to me --- more custardy. I hope I never take our chickens' eggs for granted.

Last weekend when I was driving up to NY with Aaron and Matthew after Nate's and desi's wedding, we somehow got to talking about how some people forget to tell those they love-- they love them. It is easy to say when you get married and easy when you are saying goodbye to your 96 year old mom but what about the other times. Do we take it for granted that those we love know we love them? I don't have a hard time telling my family and friends that I love them but I probably don't say it often enough. And some times it comes out, "love ya" which to me isn't at all the same as I love you. It is one of those things that you have to be conscious of.

I am not sure if I have told the animals living with us that I love them but I do and I should tell them. I don't take them for granted. I love their individual personalities (that doe not make them pets though). I love the way they make me laugh. I love the beautiful fleece and eggs they provide us with. I never want to take any of that for granted!

1 comment:

  1. Susan, I've thought about this a lot. One of my New Year's resolutions was to say, "I love you" more to the people I love. I didn't grow up saying it but learned to say it as an adult.

    I've heard many people say, "love ya" on their cell phones again and again and I feel the same way. I don't think it's the same as saying I love you.

    Anyway, I appreciate our friendship and I do love you.

    ReplyDelete