Sunday, February 28, 2010



Can't believe it has been a week since my last blog. It has been a busy week. Two new clients and one of those weeks when supervision, staff meeting, and a training all fall in the same week. Work aside, it has been a good week here on the farm. Can't wait to get chickens so I can say farm without hesitating.

Started out the week getting 20 more bales of hay but by the end of the week there were a couple spots of green in the pasture. I tried to get the sheep to walk with me, like the last time the far end of the pasture was uncovered, but this time I had to entice most of them with a pocket of grain. When Beau and I went out with skis last week I stayed on top of the snow but Beau sunk deeper. Now every one of Beau's footprints has a few hints of green. It was funny watching Sarah go from footprint to footprint nibbling.

I have always loved baby pictures with the babies wearing their food (usually spaghetti sauce or chocolate). Check out Annie and Charlotte.







All winter the sheep and Beau have been so hungry and before I can get the hay to the troughs they are grabbing it and getting it all over. Charlotte wears the most. I constantly yell at them about the condition of their fleeces but then the next time I see them they are clean again (cleaned by a friend needing a between -meals snack).

Some people make their sheep wear coats to keep them clean. Can you imagine. I wonder if those people have baby pictures with food faces.

I may be whistling another tune when I go to shear them in the next few weeks. How much debris will I find down deep? It seems like I can see down deep but who knows. It will be nice to make it through the year cycle and know what to expect for a change. Speaking of shearing, we got a call first thing this morning from a sheep shearer that shears a friend's sheep. He wanted to know if I wanted to get our sheep sheared before or after theirs. He even has a shearing partner that can blade shear. So, Karen, we now have a back-up plan. I do still want to try first but it never hurts to have a back-up plan.

On to this week. Hoping the rest of the snow finally melts, hoping it doesn't get too muddy, and hoping to get hooves trimmed.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite baby pics are not only when they have the food all over their face but when they fall asleep in their food,too. Both of my girls did this on at least one occassion. I wonder if sheep ever do that, if yours ever do and you catch it on camera be sure to pass that pic on too. We had a beautiful day here today, it is headed your way. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I walk to the train everyday I am seeing more and more green (well really brown) areas and I think of you and your critters.

    ReplyDelete