Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Some Lives Are Very Short Lived

I found Eli dead this morning.  Eli was Cirrus and Sal's gosling.  Last evening he was having a little trouble walking but was getting along O.K.  Don't know if he got stepped on or tripped or what.  I thought about bringing him in to care for him but figured Cirrus and Sal could do a better job and I didn't want to cause stress.  There was a small wound on the top of his head when I found him, but nothing else.  Don't know if it was a predator that was fought off or what.  Another question that will probably never be answered.

Cirrus, Sal, and Eloise seem to be doing alright with their loss but it is sad.  Farm animals and especially the very young are so vulnerable.  Evie and her three siblings (the four bantam babes) are out and about now but Moma black hen calls them in around 7P.M. for the night.  Tomorrow, two ducks may be coming to live with us.  A woman who moved to town asked us if they could come live here.  I think they will be penned in for the night which means I have to finish reinforcing the run in the morning.  I wish the geese would go back to the run at night, but they don't sleep at night so that is difficult to keep them penned for so long, especially since they have known freedom.

It is always hard to make decisions for other lives but I try to interfere as little as possible.  I don't try to pretend to know what is best in life and death.  Who knows why some lives are long and other so short.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I'm sorry you lost Eli. It's really hard to protect fowl, I've found. We try our best and that's about all we can do. I look forward to pictures of your new ducks.

    ReplyDelete