Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Boys Are Lonely

Not John anymore; I returned from New England Monday morning early, after 11 days away.  Cirrus is lonely because Sal is still sitting on her nest.  If the 6 or so eggs are fertile, Cirrus won't be lonely next week.  The rooster is lonely because one of the hens went broody about 4 or 5 days ago, is sitting on her nest and the other hen, her sister, wants to keep her company.

So Cirrus hangs out with the sheep or naps or lopes around waiting for Sal to take one of her infrequent breaks.  When she does, he gets SO excited and they make a huge racket, otherwise it is pretty quiet around here.  The rooster goes in the chicken coop occasionally but mostly wanders about on his own.  I thought maybe the rooster and Cirrus would buddy up, you know "birds of a feather, flock together" or whatever that saying is.  But, I really do think Cirrus thinks he is a sheep.

Yes, spring is in the air, and everything is incredibly beautiful.  John and I had dinner on the porch and wondered if there is a more beautiful place anywhere in the world.  Some say, when you go away, home looks so good when you return, but, I knew it was beautiful as I was leaving and almost didn't want to go, which it rare for me.

One of the things I got to do when I was away, was give some of Norma Jean's fleece to a friend that got me spinning several years ago.  She doesn't  spin much anymore; she is really a knitter of fine things, but now she is inspired to spin again.

Tomorrow, I will spend more time with Cirrus and see if I can find the rooster some girls that are not sitting.  It is a hard life being male on a farm.  Way more females and they are always having babies-- well, not the sheep here, but that is only because there are no rams at Cabin Spring Farm.  There is nothing like a lonely ram.

No comments:

Post a Comment