Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cleaning Wool with Yuca Root

I always find it interesting to find old ways of doing things that are better in some ways than the new way to do the same thing.  Take washing wool for example.

People used to wash wool and clothes and other things with plants that create soap.  (wish I could remember the term for these  plants).  Anyway, I have a link on my website that shows the process for wool.  cabinspringfarm.com  I have been playing around with it a bit but today I actually documented my attempt.  Check it out.  



pounding a yuca root to break it down

swishing it to make suds
before on left after on right

a close up of the after
How can water so dirty get something SO clean?


the bark of the root that peels off after pounding





I loved the way the bark peeled off.  I love the whole process but I need more practice to figure out how much I need to pound the root and how much root I need.

What I really like about it is that you don't heat the water and you can supposedly use the yuca several times if you air dry it and keep it in the shade.

Still need to work with the process but so far I like the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment