Monday, September 16, 2013

Raking the Barn


Every day I rake the barn.  It is very enjoyable for me.  It is funny that it is the last job many people would want to do and for some reason I hate it when I have to ask someone to do it for me.

  My young friend from across the pasture seems to like to do it but I am not sure what part he likes.  John cleaned the barn for almost 6 weeks after I broke my ankle, and didn't seem to mind, but I don't think he misses not doing it anymore.

For me, raking the barn, is very relaxing and rewarding, like spinning wool but different.  When I rake, I feel I am raking a zen garden and it is especially rewarding where the animals have spilled minerals, and the silver lines stand out in the sunlight.  I wonder if any of the animals feel like they are resting in a zen garden afterwards?

I have always liked sweeping too, especially at an entrance of a building.  When I see a shop keeper sweeping the stoop before opening his/her shop, it is very welcoming.  I loved sweeping the small ramp to the Fiber Shed every morning as the campers were arriving.

Someone, the other day, was talking about sweeping dirt floors, and how awful they thought that would be.  Not for me, I would enjoy it but I would want to wet my broom first I think, if it was really dusty.

Not sure what it is that feels so good about raking or sweeping.  I hate vacuuming!, so it isn't  a cleaning thing.  Mopping is O.K. but not as relaxing as raking or sweeping.  Is it the sound?  The stroke?  I can hear and feel both, just thinking about it.  Some kind of mental or spiritual connection, I'm sure.

  So maybe I don't liking asking others to do it because I don't feel they have that same spiritual connection and without it, raking the barn could be just a stinky chore.

No comments:

Post a Comment