Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Death is a Part of Life



Especially, living on a farm, I think I am closer to "Death is a Part of Life". Yesterday morning Jumpin Jack died. He was a sweetheart. He was never a vibrant sheep after his worm issues last summer. He was always a bit slower than the others but he maintained. I had just started giving him a tonic that I thought might help and a couple of days ago he seemed a bit better but alas, I woke up yesterday and he was dying.

I was sitting on the ladder in the barn, Monday, with some hay on my lap and Jumpin Jack and four others were eating the hay. I remember thinking " this is good, he still likes me after I give him the medicine and he seems a bit better".

So what was it? I really don't know. No coughing, no any noticeable symptoms just not peppy.

I gave him his space in the last couple of hours and watched the others come check on him. I checked in on him but most sheep are stressed more by human contact so I talked to him and then kept doing chores around the barn and barnyard. He did not seem to be suffering in any way so I let him die in peace.

I was given a beautiful day to lay him to rest next to Hildegard. I did shear him after he died since he had a beautiful full fleece. I will make something special to remember him by.

This was always one of my favorite pictures of Jumpin Jack

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Jumpin' Jack...he was such a sweet one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad. I'm sorry, Susan. He was such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete