Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Special Photos

My sister Gail is a an exceptional photographer and she carries her camera with her everywhere. Not me-- too heavy, I forget, don't want to worry about it etc.etc. So I don't get a large number of good photographs. My daughter Lyndy is my favorite photographer. Not because she is my daughter--- mostly because I love her subject matter and her angle of shooting. I think they would say COMPOSITION though my photographic language is not good. Lyndy's photos are also very sharp and clear. I have taken some GREAT photographs but alot of things have to go right so there aren't many. And, because I don't often have my camera available, some of my best are photographs in my mind.

Back in 1976 or 1977 I was snorkeling in the Bahamas and I came across a beautiful Trigger Fish. We surprised each other and he/she cocked its head to get a better look at me and I started laughing and had to return to the surface. Since I did not have an underwater camera with me I captured the picture in my mind and remember that picture to this day. We have some great pictures of our trip to Europe in 2000 (Lyndy probably took most of them) though John is a good photographer when he puts his mind to it. None of the pictures I have ever taken of the Grand Canyon are as good as those in my mind's album.

This week I have to add another fabulous picture to that album since once again I didn't have my camera handy. I was trying to move Beau and the sheep over to the cabin yard. Five of the sheep made a dash out one gate and through the other but Beau and Amelia decided to dally so I was trying to coax them to join the others. When I turned around I saw Sarah running back toward us with a daffodil she had just picked between her teeth. I had to laugh and I called her Carmelita.

Last night, when I was talking to Lyndy on the phone, she asked me if any of the new baby chicks had escaped yet. I told her no and then today, when I was talking on the phone to a friend on the Cape, I heard a very loud squawking. I got off the phone and went to investigate and found one chick had escaped and was standing in the middle of the floor with an expression of "where did everybody go". Perhaps another for the mind's album since I think John has the camera with him today.

Maybe I will never get any prizes for my special photos but they sure bring me a happy feeling when I see them in my mind.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a fun spring. The problem with taking pictures with your mind is that I don't get to see them. But I love your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One picture or maybe it is a video, that I have in my mind is our walk in the snow though our woods in Briarcliff with my dog Abby. It is truly one of my favorite childhood memories. I felt really close to you on that walk. Your blogs make me feel close to you again, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved to see Sarah running with a daffodil in her mouth.

    ReplyDelete